The Cost of Replacing Your Home Siding
Replacing siding can cost you a pretty penny and it can be very difficult to decide on which style would complement your home the best, but don’t start hammering your piggy banks or pulling your hair out before you read this blog. This can help you figure out which siding you would like better on your home and which one will save your pockets from being empty. It will also give you some fun facts that you can use to make your decision.
Also called clapboard siding. This style of siding adds a lot of character and they are mostly milled from sustainable resources. It is very versatile, it can be sanded, painted, or stained to match any home. This type of siding can also add a warm and natural look to your home; making your house much more family friendly. It is also great for the environment because it is sustainable, recyclable, renewable, and comes direct from nature.
The installation and cost of replacing this siding is very easy and it comes in shingles, clapboards, drop siding, vertical boards, and wooden sheet siding. The price for this type of siding can cost between $5.00 and $12.00 per square foot. However, this siding is very high maintenance and requires regular sealing; the maintenance can be costly and time consuming. It requires treatment every year or two, more frequently if non-toxic, eco-friendly products are used. There is often no warranty when it comes to wood siding as the manufactures do not offer one.
- Warm, natural look
- Ecologically friendly
- Available in many styles and types
- Takes staining and color easily
- Easy installation and repair
- High maintenance, requires regular sealing
- Susceptible to insects, mold, and rot
- Natural wood isn’t as insulating as other materials
Engineered Wood Siding
Engineered wood is made of wood product such as wood strands and wood “flakes” held together by a bonding agent. This creates a strong but lightweight material that is less expensive than natural wood. It is also an affordable option to natural wood. You can get it pre-primed or pre-finished to save time on the installation. However, it requires some less minimal maintenance like natural wood and comes with a 50 year warranty. This siding also is great for the environment because it is sustainable, recyclable, renewable, and comes directly from nature. Having said that, this is most cost effective siding product besides vinyl siding.
One of the most attractive features to homeowners is that engineered wood siding is very strong. This is a great siding product to use in wind prone areas like southeast Texas. This type of siding is also very easily installed and repaired. It is made from leftover and recycled wood, making it very eco-friendly. However, this style of siding is prone to moisture issues if not properly installed and sealed. It is also susceptible to insects and mold if it is not properly maintained. The price for this type of siding can cost between $4.25 and $8.30 per square foot installed and painted. The pre-finished replacement siding cost is much higher at over $9.00 per square foot with minimal color selection.
- Easy to install and repair
- Many styles and textures offered
- Extreme impact resistance
- Very eco-friendly as it uses some reclaimed wood waste
- Low-cost option for the warmth of wood
- Requires some painting maintenance as natural wood
- Prone to moisture issues if not properly installed/sealed
- Susceptible to insects and mold if not maintained properly with paint
Fiber Cement Siding
Fiber cement siding is made up of sand, cement and wood/cellulose fibers. It’s very durable and can withstand intense storms, but it is very heavy and requires special tools and knowledge to install properly. The most popular fiber cement siding is Hardie board. This Type of siding is likely to last the lifespan of your home. It is fire resistant and very easy to maintain. Cracks are also easy to patch. However, fiber cement requires professional installation that can cost as much as the material itself.
Material produced before 1980 may have asbestos, which will require an asbestos abatement contractor. Also it weighs about 2 and a half pounds per square foot, meaning it is very heavy and may crack easily as the building on a new construction settles. Although, once it is installed, it is very durable and resistant to many factors that would destroy other materials, including fire. The price for this type of siding can cost between $4.75 and $9.00 per square foot and the shingles cost between $6.90 to $14.00 per square foot installed and painted.The pre-finished (painted) replacement siding cost is much higher at over $9.85 per square foot. Also, there is a limited amount of colors that are available.
- Is likely to last the life of your home
- Soffits, trim, and fascia are also available in fiber cement
- Very fire resistant
- Cracks can be easily patched
- Very easy maintenance
- Requires professional installation
- Very heavy, about 2 ½ pounds per square foot
- It may crack as the building settles if installed on new construction
- Cracks easily when struck by impact
Siding Replacement Cost Links:
What Is Included In The Cost Of Replacing Siding
Siding installation can have many variables to the project steps. With that said, most of the projects include the following steps below. These all are included in the siding cost and they are as follows:
- Removal of the old siding including its fasteners sut as nails
- Replacing any rotted studs that in need of replacement
- Installing a vapor barrier to keep the studs and wall insulation dry
- Waterproofing around doors & windows with tape and Z flashing
- Installation of the new siding product
- Calucking of the new siding areas
- Painting of the new siding areas
- Hauling away of all the job related degrees
Final Thoughts On Replacement Siding Cost For Your Home
I hope that this siding replacement cost blog helped you decide on what type of siding fits your needs. Also what siding product you would like on your home. Having this information we know that this siding replacement cost article has made the decision easier on you as there are different prices for each product. Thank you from all of us at, Texas Home Exteriors.